Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Shoe sizes: There aren't any that fit!

Maybe it's where I live, but I can't find a pair of size 28 shoes (Japanese size. American size 10.5) Yokkaichi isn't the biggest place on the earth, but there are nearly 300,000 people in the city. Honolulu has around 380,000; Colorado Springs has 379,000; Newark, NJ has around 300,000. Do you think I could find a pair of 28's there? And I don't believe, "But the average Japanese person doesn't have such big feet." Maybe most don't, but look at some junior high school kids around. They must have large feet.

Yesterday I went to a shopping/entertainment facility that just opened in town. I watched "Batman." After that the flick, I went to the shoe store in the building to look for, as I often do, and usually with the same result, a pair of shoes that I would pay money for. Not to be had. There were maybe two pairs of 28's, but they were not something I would wear.

The only thing that has kept me from buying online are prices, not the shoes, but the import taxes for leather shoes. My alternative is to buy shoes that don't use leather, and I am at that juncture. I found a great pair of shoes, the "Blackspot Sneaker:V2." It is 100% vegan. I guess they will be shipping in July, and I'm ordering one pair of 11's.

1 comment:

5330 said...

Bringing your own sounds like a good idea to me. It's the only way to be sure you will have the size you want when you get here.

Actually, a student told me this morning that I could find larger shoes in Nagoya. I'll stick to the Internet.