Friday, March 05, 2004

Godzilla Retires at 50

Godzilla will retire after its latest movie production. The cultural icon is 50 now. I'm jealous and relieved.

First, I'm jealous, because I would also like to retire at 50 with the kind of resources Godzilla has.

Next I'm relieved. According to "Godzilla Filmography", the film "Godzilla vs. Destroyer" was not released in the US, so I don't know how familiar some readers are with the film. That is actually the newest Godzilla film I have seen. There are two newer films, but I haven't seen either one of them. I don't imagine I will either. The plot was terrible, the ending a huge disappointment, and everything else was predictable and boring. I am sorry that the producers of the film couldn't do anything more to bring more people to know and love the creature.

I'm happy to keep my memories of the first Godzilla from Saturday afternoon movies on TV just the way they are. I remember watching the film in black and white. I didn't understand the social implications then, but the film produced very strong images of Japan for me. An exotic place where giant creatures still roamed. Little did I know that I would someday be a resident of that magnificent place.

If he does come out of retirement someday, I have a list of suggestioned places where I'd like him to do a little dance. But until then, happy retirement Big Guy.


No comments: