Sunday, February 15, 2004

Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings opened in Japan yesterday. Yes, Valentines Day. It opened in other places two months ago if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what took it so long, but it was worth the wait. Great film on a lot of levels. Great entertainment value. Great characters. Convincing effects. It was also a super film to see on Valentines Day, with the love interests.

I was ready to be disappointed. I had read the Rings series three times over, and it had a huge effect on me as a young adult. I couldn't imagine anyone being able to make a film that would rich enough to do the books justice. I couldn't believe anyone could put together Middle Earth and its people in a way that would make the place come alive even close to the way it did when I read the books. I was delighted with all three of the films. I'm going to buy a DVD player and copies of the Ring series when they come out.

They already had a leg up, because they were making a movie from a story that had captivated readers for decades. Really, they had only two options. Make a great movie that would live up to the books or screw it up. I am really happy the movie did such a great job.

No comments: